Monday, April 9, 2012

2012 Travel Series No. 3: Part 1 - Bicol: Legazpi, Donsol, and Masbate

DAY 1 - Bicol Express Adventure (Legazpi, Cagsawa, and Daraga in Albay & Pilar and Donsol in Sorsogon)

Unlike my previous travels, I was more prepared for this one since it was my first time visiting Bicolandia and this time around I was determined not to burn my ticket.  I arrived in the airport almost 1 and 1/2 hours before schedule - too excited.

Upon checkin, I requested (coupled with my sweetest devilish smile) for a window seat.  I was given 1F - 1st row, Wow!  Zest Air was unusually on time.  Flight was 11:40, by 11am boarding was already complete.  To my surprise, the flight was nearly full but I was the only one sitting in the front row, so I had 6 seats all to my disposal.  I took advantage of my extreme luck as I did a photo shoot 25K above sea level.

It was a fine day for cloud photography

Various cloud formations are such a delight to the eyes
I had my first glimpse of Mt. Mayon from my vantage point.  I was asked by the stewardess to move to the left side of the plane so that I could capture Mayon as we land.  Wow!  I was really feeling extremely lucky.  As the plane prepares its landing, my camera I began shooting.  It was exhilarating.  I ignored the "fasten seat belt" sign as I shifted from left to right of the front row (pasaway talaga) :-)  I could see other passengers staring and just glaring with envy :-)

First sight of Mt. Mayon in the horizon.  Luckily I had the entire first row .
 I had full vantage point from both directions - left and right side
TIP: Make sure you request for a seat on the left side of the plane to get the best vantage view of Mt. Mayon as the aircraft lands.

Mt. Mayon in its full glory.  It's such a joy to see God's wonderful creations.
I wasted no time, I had to shoot as many pictures as I can.  Outside the airport, one can take a taxi, a van, or a tricycle...I took a tricycle and asked the driver how much it would cost to get to the ViewPoint - Lignon Hill (I found out afterwards) - 50pesos.  And how about Cagsawa, I asked.  We closed the deal at 300pesos, city tour - tourist style.  Best deal - Airport to Lignon Hill, to Cagsawa, to St. Gregory Cathedral (all these in 1 hour and 30 minutes).  Taxi offered 2500 (city tour of Legazpi plus ride to Donsol).

First stop, Ligñon Hill, is just outside the gates of the airport near the run way.  This hill, has lush vegetation and offers a full view of Mayon and Legazpi city.  It's no easy climb so the tricycle driver suggested that I take a motorcycle ride up the top for 20pesos.  Entrance to Lignon Hill is 20pesos.  10 minutes and a few shots after, I was trekking down hill.  There are trails but I did not bother to check them.  The hanging bridge is also closed.
The runway, Ligñon Hill, and Mt. Mayon
Entrance to the Ligñon Hill.  Fee is 20pesos.  Make sure have a ride going up.  Going down is a breeze.
The view of Mt. Mayon from Ligñon Hill


The hanging bridge, the runway, Legazpi City, the sea, the mountains, the sky.
Next stop, Cagsawa ruins.  7kms. (about 15 minutes) from the airport is the infamous Cagsawa Church bell tower ruins.  The road leading to the site was washed away by recent rain and flooding.  Hence, only motorbikes and tricycles were allowed to enter until the gate of the ruins.  Too bad for the high class tourist in air-conditioned cars and vans as they have to walk a kilometer under the scorching heat of the sun.

Cagsawa Chull Bell Tower
Entrance to the ruins is 10pesos.  Inside is the famous bell tower, stone walls of the original church (used as picture frames) and in the background is Mt. Mayon.  High school kids help take pictures.  Just don't forget to tip them.  The kid who helped me even taught me a lesson in exposure.  My 50pesos tip was worth it.  Got me self some good shots.
Mt. Mayon from Cagsawa

Always covered by clouds whenever I attempt to take a picture
From the rear of the ruins

Native crafts - colorful hats- are sold outside the entrance of  the Cagsawa ruins
Some more colorful crafts for sale
TIPS:
- Take a tricycle ride, this is much cheaper and it allows one to have a feel of the place.
- Do not worry about having your picture taken in Cagsawa as there are high school kids who are willing to help get professional looking pictures for you.

Third stop, St. Gregory Church of Legazpi.  The church is pretty much restored in and out.  Gone is its rustic beauty.  I'll visit Daraga Church in my next visit.
The main church of Legazpi - St. Gregory's Cathedral
After 1.5 hours of city touring, I decided to head on to Donsol.  The only problem, no vans were travelling since it was Good Friday.  Luckily, I managed to catch the last jeepney ride from Daraga to Donsol.

TIPS:
- Legazpi City houses the Central Bus Terminal.  However, there are more jeepneys plying Donsol in Daraga, which is about 3 kilometers South of Legazpi.
- Don't make the mistake of hopping on a ride to Sorsogon if you intend to go to Donsol.  Sorsogon travels south while Donsol is on the West side.
- Jeepney ride will take about 3 hours (1.5 hours of stopping along the way).  Fare is 60 pesos.  Public vans go for the same price.  On my return from Donsol to Legazpi, I rode a motorbike for 500pesos that took only 45minutes (see Day 2).

En route to Donsol, we were stopped as there was an ongoing procession (since it was already 5pm).  It was an added treat as I took pictures from the top of the jeepney.  Got me self the vantage point again.
Images from the procession in Pilar Sorsogon, en route to Donsol
















No comments:

Post a Comment