Saturday, May 26, 2012

2012 Travel Series No. 5: Part 2 - Malapascua Island, Cebu

Day 2 - Malapascua Island Adventure

I woke up feeling excited for what the day has to offer.  The agreed schedule with Dennis was 8am.  I woke up around 6am and pleaded for my breakfast to be served while I took a morning swim.  By 730am we were off to explore Malapascua's underwater beauty.

First stop, the CORAL GARDEN.  It was about 5 minutes away from the resort.  I was very much disappointed to see not a garden but more like a CEMETERY.  There were corals all over - left, right, back, front, around but they were not teeming with life.  They all sported the same gloomy gray and black color.  The sight drowned my spirit.  I wondered how beautiful the place was before the locals started dynamite and cyanide fishing.  What a waste.  It was a disheartening sight.  I couldn't bear it.  I asked we moved.
Little fishes from the Coral Garden
A giant hermit crab from the Coral Garden
 Next stop, the pristine waters of Bantigue Cove.  Bantigue is located in the northern part of the island.  The place is owned by the Bantigue clan.  The resort is well recommended for visitors wanting a lot of peace and quiet.  The waters and the sand on this side of the island is better than the coarse sand and coral rocks in Bounty Beach. I'll definitely stay in this resort in my next visit.

The pristine waters of Bantigue Cove
The boatmen barbecued chicken, which I asked Dennis to prepare.  I was hoping for fish but ironic I was told that there's no delivery for the day.  Yes, fish was delivered to Malapascua not caught.  The barbecue chicken was included in the 1200 boat rental.  The taste was pleasantly good.
Waiting for barbecue :-)
After a hearty mid-morning barbecue we were off to check a Japanese shipwreck.  I was happy that somehow the dive will compensate the poor sight from the Coral Garden.  At first plunged, my heart jumped in excitement.  There it was lying under the ocean floor 5 meters from the surface - the famous Japanese shipwreck of Malapascua.  An added treat were a group of divers seemingly having class underwater.
The site near Pilar Pilapil's rest house
This part of the trip was definitely the highlight.  Normally, island hopping will not include a stop on this site.  Negotiate with the boatmen to include this in the itinerary.

A diver getting a breather

A section of the Japanese shipwreck

Underwater class
Last stop, was snorkeling near Dakit Dakit Island.  Too bad we finished the bread in the Coral Garden.  The corals on this part of Malapascua is better, more variety of fishes ready to pose for some pictures.  If only we had bread :-(

Growing Corals
By 11am I was back in the resort.  All 3 and 1/2 hours of island hopping well worth it.  I frolicked in the waters some more before preparing to depart.  12 noon I was in a ferry boat back to Maya Port via a non-airconditioned Ceres Bus to Cebu.

Beachfront of Mike & Diose's Resort
Next time, I'll make sure I'll wait for the air-conditioned bus to avoid millimeters of dust on the face and the scorching heat of the sun.  By 530pm I was backed in Cebu City.  I checked in at Sampaguita Suites, ordered room service and slept until 2am as I catch my 330am flight back to Manila.

TIPS:
1/ make sure to negotiate the itinerary with the boatman to include the visit to the Japanese shipwreck
2/ bring a loaf of bread and make sure to leave some for the fishes in Dakit Dakit Island
3/ take the air-conditioned bus back to Cebu for a more relaxing ride

NEXT ADVENTURE: Mount Pinatubo Trek

No comments:

Post a Comment