Monday, April 9, 2012

2012 Travel Series No. 3: Part 2 - Bicol: Legazpi, Donsol, Masbate

DAY 1PM - DAY 2: More adventures and missed-adventures (Donsol, Masbate, and back to Legazpi)

I reached Donsol about 6:30pm.  The jeepney stopped at the town plaza.  I was told to take a tricycle ride to Dancalan beach where most of the resorts and hotels are concentrated.  More importantly it is where the DOT building is where one has to register to go "butanding" watching.

My luck seem to have ran out as all the resorts were fully booked.  The tricycle driver offered his home but I decided to stay at Giddy's resort.  The only hotel in town that accepts credit card and the only accredited dive shop (facilities and training).  I settled in for a dormitory room (1 bunk bed) in a room with a shared toilet and bath downstairs.  I may have been the only solo flight tourist in town that day as I had the room all for myself.  It was a better deal than getting a single room for 3Kpesos.

Giddy's Resort and Hotel - this is the only resort that accept credit card payments in the whole of Donsol
 I forgot that I have not eaten the whole day ( I had very light breakfast, no lunch, no merienda).  8pm I was dead hungry.  I checked the hotel menu and it contained the same expensive, continental dishes.  I opted to eat at the "carinderia" (canteen) beside Giddy's and had the best ginataang tulingan, laing, and dilis, and a 500ml of mineral water, all for 100pesos only.
For 100 pesos - 1 serving of rice, ginataang tulingan, laing, gatang dilis, one 500ml mineral water...not bad!
The following morning, I woke up very early as I was told I might be able to register if I was early.  I was very much surprised to see the crowd of people from all nationalities (it was like the gathering of the UN) waiting to register.  My reliable tricycle driver (from last night), Teng, went asking all his friends if I could be accommodated - to no avail.  I did not insist since there were people who have been in the waiting list since Thursday.  It was not fair.  I decided to go on island hopping instead.  The only catch, one boat cost 7K.  I negotiated for 2 islands, half day tour at 3500K. But to no avail.  I realized later on that the islands were far apart, hence, the price.  I was about to leave when a group of 4 (a family) graciously let into their pack.  I paid 1400 for my share of the boat (since there are 5 of us) and 100 pesos for registration, 1500 all in all.
Visitors preparing to go whaleshark watching. 
This was the closest I got to a whaleshark..not bad :-)
Souvenirs. Will get one when I finally get the chance to swim with the gentle giants.
Arriving in Ticao Island for some snorkeling
The itinerary was for about 7 islands.  First stop, was Ticao island for some snorkeling and shark feeding.  The ride was nearly an hour and a half.  I was in doubt if we can visit all the 7 islands.  Ticao has a small cove that offers snorkeling, kayaking, and yest jetski activities.  On the right side of the main beach is a small beach where baby sharks are often seen.  At that time, there were two cuties but were to shy to much the stinking smell of the nearly rotten fish used as bait.

Fish and corals abound but in the deeper portions of the island.
15 minutes I wanted to go off but since I am travelling with another party I had no choice but to wait for them to finish their lunch.  It was nearly noon when we left.
Plunging into the cold waters of Ticao Island.

Pretty and sexy blue starfish
TIPS:
- Make sure you bring a good pair of fins and snorkeling set.  This can be rented at 150pesos for mask and tube, and 150pesos for fins
- Bring food and water as there are no stores within any of the islands to be visited.  There is a Binalot stall in front of the DOT office
- Bring extra bottles of fresh water, you'll need them on your way back to wash your eyes from salt water

And yes!  There is a Binalot stall in the heart of Donsol Sorsogon
The trip to Catandayagan falls was a little over an hour.  It was beginning to make sense to me why the fee was pegged at 7K per boat since travelling from one island to the other takes time.  Along the way, several limestone islets (similar to Puerto Princesa) greets you.  Lush with greens.
The long route to Catandayagan Falls
All I know is that we were visiting a waterfall in San Miguel Island in Masbate.  I thought we were to trek to see the waterfall.  But lo and behold, Catandayagan waterfalls spills its water into the open sea.  It was a wonder.  The feeling was both of awe and exhilaration.  It was like having Cristina Falls but in the open sea.
I immediately took a plunge - no vest, no mask.  I was simply too excited.


The view from a distance seems like nothing extraordinary
Right underneath the falls is a small cave where one can swim to enjoy fresh water.  However, it is not for the novice swimmer.  One can easily get washed away due to underwater current coupled with the heavy splashes and downpour of the waterfalls.

But once you get closer, you'll be amazed as to how majestic this place is.
The Catandayagan Waterfalls made up for me not having been able to bond with the "Butandings" of Donsol.  The whale sharks can wait for another time.  But the Catandayagan Waterfalls was simply the best of the best from all of my travels so far.  I hope that more and more people to get to visit it and appreciate its  wonder and glory.
Raring to dive...no gears.
It was another 2 hours ride going back to the shores of Donsol.  Tired and exhausted but very much happy and fulfilled, I rented a motorbike (with a driver) for 500pesos back to Legazpi to catch the 6pm ride (via Philtranco) to Manila.

TIPS:
- The buses are located in the Central Bus Terminal in Legazpi (near Gaisano Mall)
- Buses usually leave for Manila starting at 5pm until 8pm.  Check out the different bus companies for fares.
- A 27 seater Philtrancto coach bus cost 1100 a seat from Legazpi to Cubao (it's the most comfortable ride one can get).  It has a toilet too.

NEXT ADVENTURE: Iloilo and Guimaras Island Province with my family.  April 13-15, 2012







1 comment: