Thursday, April 5, 2012

2012 Travel Series No. 2: Part 1 - Cebu: Cebu City, and Mactan & Olango Islands

DAY 1 - Frustrations and misadventures

Last week was one long, tiring, and exhausting week.  Monday to Friday was toxic in the office.  PM, I had my final session of my Financial Engineering class in Ateneo immediately followed by a fellowship dinner in Barcino that lasted until 1AM (I missed another party in Magallanes).  The following morning I was late in my godson's christening (luckily the priest was more tardy than I was).  I was exhausted when I got home at 1pm. Took a nap as my head was starting to ache.  I woke up at 4pm realizing that I had a flight to Cebu to catch and I only had an hour.  With the speed of light I packed my stuff in 10mins, hopped into the car  by 4:15pm.  While I was speeding along C5, a red Mitsubishi lancer was trying to catch speed.  I thought, I don't have time to race.  I stepped on the gas and pulled away.  After a few meters, another car from behind, was flashing its headlights.  I thought it wanted to pass, so I stepped on the gas some more and sped away.  A few meters more, a motorcycle caught speed and I was thinking, "why is everyone trying to race with me today, of all the days when I have a flight to catch".  Finally, the guy managed to catch me and pointed on the tires of my car (my angel might have been singing hollies after his stubborn ward finally heeded the calls and the signs).  I pulled over.  Alas! - the rear right tire was nearly deflated.  I did not attempt to change the tire (I still don't know how until now) instead I drove a few meters more, saw a vulcanizing shop, and challenge a mechanic to remove the tire and put the spare in 5 minutes for 100pesos - he did it in 7mins so I gave him 70pesos :-) (it was actually the only loose bills I had).

I was speeding more than ever, missing three near-collisions.  At the back of my mind, I just wanted to go home and sleep but it's that same lazy thoughts that had caused me to burn so many tickets and would-have-been adventures, so I stepped on the gas some more.  My luck started to change when I reached the parking lot, it was like my angel had reserved a spot for me, directly fronting the terminal entrance.  I only had 20 mins left to reach the boarding gate.  I ran and ran, cut queues (avoiding the glare and the stare of those behind me). Had the manager of Ceb Pac print my boarding pass, a new counter opened and I was first in line to pay the terminal fee, threw my stuff into the last x-ray machine (I couldn't be bothered by the people in line telling me to move back to the end of the queue).  5 mins. to departure I finally reached the gate.  I was out of breath and all sweaty.  I collapsed not out of exhaustion but in finding out that the flight was delayed for another 30 minutes, what the #@$$!

I had no itinerary for this trip.  The only goal was to do snorkeling and island hopping in one or two islands in Mactan.  I reached Cebu City at 9pm, dead tired and hungry.  First thing I went looking for was a seafood restaurant.  I ended up in NeoNeo, a fast food, service was so lousy that even a glass of water took them forever to serve.  I walked out.  I went to my all time favorite restaurant - Abuhan.  I never miss to pay this place a visit whenever I am in Cebu.  Got me a big serving of pochero, pansit, and grilled tangigue.


The famous "Pochero", similar to Batanga's bulalo.  Abuhan Restaurant is located at F. Ramos St. across Holiday Hotel near Robinsons Fuente Osmena.  They are open 24 hours. Picture courtesy of http://www.freewebs.com/kanirag/Abuhan.htm

Next stop, a place to stay.  I usually stay in Sampaguita Suites (032-2533672/032-2535964) in Fuente Osmena near Mango Square.  However that night, they were scheduled to clean their water tank from 11pm-4am - No water for the night.  Cebu has every type of accommodation that caters to nearly everyone's tastes and preference.  Sampaguita Suites is highly recommended for light-budget travelers.

I crossed to Grand Prix Hotel, but all the single rooms were on hold.  I really needed to rest, so I decided to try Elegant Circle Inn (still within Fuente Osmena).  The verdict - I am never returning to this hotel.  From inside your room you can hear all the noise in the corridor.  The noise from the TV and the sounds inside the other rooms can also be heard from within your room.  Not a good place if you are to do "the deed" - (DISCLAIMER: I was behaved, very behaved).

TIPS: (Exploring Cebu - A Beginner's Guide)
If you are thinking to visit the Queen City of the South, in solitude.  Here are some helpful tips:
DAY 1
1/ Book the first flight out of Manila (Saturday) - Ceb Pac and PAL have 3am/4am flights.  Book the last flight out of Cebu (Sunday) - Ceb Pac and PAL have 11pm/12mn flights.
2/ Book your accommodation in advance.  Research.  Sampaguita Suites offers single room occupancy at 680pesos.  Grand Prix is for 800+. No breakfast.  Something you need not worry since there are a lot of places to get one.  Book a hotel within the Fuente Osmena area.  The landmark is Robinsons, Cebu Midtown Hotel, National Bookstore, Shamrock Hotel.
3/ From the airport, take a cab straight to Sto. Nino Shrine.  This will kick start your city tour.  Fare should not exceed 200pesos (metered).
4/ Kick start your Cebu adventure by exploring downtown Cebu -> Sto. Nino Shrine (make sure you bring home a Sto.Nino), parallel to it is the Cebu Cathedral, on the other side of it is the infamous Magellan's cross.  Walk to the Pier, and you will find the Plaza Independencia.  Beside it is Fort San Pedro (similar to Fort Santiago in Intramuros).  Head back to Sto. Nino, and walk the stretch heading to Colon St. (the oldest St. in the Philippines) - it's like being in Quiapo, downtown Avenida in Manila.
5/ From Colon, take a jeepney ride to Fuente Osmena.  It should be lunch time by now.  Check out Abuhan Restaurant in F. Ramos St. (see above link).  Check in to your chosen hotel after lunch
6/ After lunch, from Fuente, find the road that leads to the Provincial Capitol. Head on to SM from there and Ayala afterwards.  You can skip SM, but don't skip Ayala.
7/ In Ayala, try the food court at the 4th floor - Cebu Lechon for merienda.
8/ Explore Ayala and the IT Park.
9/ Have dinner at Cafe Laguna (very much recommended)
10/ After dinner, freshen up and prepare yourself for some Cebu night life at Mango Square (5 meters away from Fuente Osmena).  There are variety of bars, some high end requires consumable entrance fee.  Mingle, make friends with the local.  Who know's it's your lucky night and you might end up finding a companion for the following day :-)...Take note that the Cebuano's enjoy Red Horse.  San Mig Light is for the lame and faint-hearted.
11/ You should be tired, exhausted, and drunk by 2AM
ALTERNATIVE: Visit Tops in Banilad.  This is a hill that overlooks Cebu City and Mactan.  Rent a cab and negotiate for a return trip.

DAY 2
1/ This will depend on what time you wake up.  Sampaguita Suites offers breakfast for a very reasonable rate.
2/ If you can't skip mass, head on to Sto. Nino Church.
3/ If you want to stay within the city, and do some more exploration, check out Crown Regency Hotel's Edge Coaster and conquer your fear of heights.  Prepare at the least 1500pesos for this adventure
4/ If you are a beach bum, take a jeepney ride to Mactan (it will require 2 separate jeepney ride going to Mactan).  Skip the cab, it's best to explore Cebu when you are commuting.  Ensure that you take the jeepney that will pass along Marcelo Fernan Bridge.  In Mactan, take a tricycle ride to Maribago Blue Waters (they offer day tour for 1300pesos inclusive of buffet lunch), Cebu White Sands (day tour at 1000pesos with buffet lunch, Shangri-la 3400 day tour with buffet lunch).  Laze on the sand, enjoy the sun, the sea, and the beach.
5/ Whether you opted to stay in the city or checked out the beach in Mactan, by 4pm head on to Lapu Lapu Shrine (near Shangri-la).
6/ Right beside Lapu Lapu shrine is the infamous "Sutukil" similar to the Dampa dining setup in Manila.  Sutukil is an abbreviation for Sugba (grilled), Tulaw (soup), and Kilaw (cebiche) using one fish. Prepare at least 500pesos for this feast.  Or head on back near the airport and try Cebu's Best Lechon - ZUBU CHON (highly recommended).  Or check out AA Restaurant (Fresh seafoods, meat, vegetables).
7/ After a hearty dinner, head on to the airport for your flight back to Manila.
NOTE:  There is a Starbucks and Island Souvenirs shop near the airport.  A Save More store is also within the same vicinity.  Do your "pasalubong" shopping here.




No comments:

Post a Comment