Thursday, April 5, 2012

2012 Travel Series No. 2: Part 3 - Cebu: Cebu City, and Mactan & Olango Islands

Day 2 - Island Hopping, The Adventure Begins!

I was mobbed by gangs of boatmen as I alight from the motorbike.  Ended up agreeing to renting a boat for 2200pesos to visit two islands - Olango and Sulpa.

TIP:
There are a lot of operators in the Pier.  Do not be like me who does not know how to negotiate and haggle.  So I ended up getting a Titanic all for myself :-)  I found out late that rates start at 800pesos. Price vary depending on the number of islands you wish to visit and the size of the boat.  Transact wisely!

So there I was with my titanic, everyone in the Pier staring at this crazy tourist renting a gigantic banca (good for 30) people all for himself.  The plan was to visit Olango and Supal Islands.  I didn't care as long as I get to see fish, corals, and take some underwater pictures.  That was all I needed :-)
The Titanic...with 4 crew...and 1 passenger
 First stop was Olango Island.  It just took us 15 minutes to reach this marine sanctuary.  There is a 100peso fee and camera fee of 50pesos.
Getting ready to plunge - Olango Island
 And I plunged.  Too my horror, I was being swept underwater.  Underwater current was simply too strong.  I had to content myself staying near the boat, holding on to a rope and did fish feeding nearby.  Surprisingly, the fish did not mind visitors. On the contrary it seemed that they have been waiting.  20 pieces of pandesal gone in minutes.  They eat like piranhas.
The fishes here seem to have been trained.  They never leave.
Within the one hour that we were anchored, the fishes never left.  It's like they've been trained to pose for the camera. :-)
Need to hold on. Underwater current was too strong.  Snorkeling was difficult
 I only got to see one specie of fish (I don't know the name).  Not like in Balicasag.  There is another island called Hilugtungan but it is a little farther and the boatmen said that underwater scenery is way better.  That'll be in my to-do list in my next visit.
Is that a "butanding"...ahhh...ME!
 Lesson learned here, don't buy a snorkeling mask made of plastic.  Don't buy Speedo as it tends to produce mist.  Get a mask made of glass or fiberglass.  I had to swap with the boatman as my Speedo mask was failing me.
Up close and personal with the fishies
 An hour passed and I had enough.  We were off to Supal Island.  I'd been warned that I won't be seeing fishes.  It was just a small beach for lounging and for a fee of 100pesos.  What the heck, I was there already so be it.
Tired! Next Island please

Coral
 To my pleasant surprise, I enjoyed Supal Island way better than Olango Island.  The water is clearer and more shallow.  No underwater current to worry about.
Supal Island, the islands of starfish and sea urchins...seabed is literally littered with sea urchins 
 The seabed is littered with starfishes (all sizes and colors), sea urchins (be careful, the sting will feel like being pierced with a needle).
This place seems to be a coral nursery
 The island also boasts of growing corals.  It seemed like the place is reviving itself, recuperating from the drawbacks of tourism.  Little corals are sprouting almost everywhere.  I saw a jellyfish, luckily I did not step on it and an albino crab.  Check out my FB page for more pictures
Tiny two-colored starfish...gigantic ones litter the seabed
 Thirty minutes after, I called it a wrap.  Fulfilled and happy that I managed to do what I came to do.
And...back to Mactan
TIP:
Make sure that you don't go sharing a boat with other groups.  It is better if you rent your own so that you can manage the time, specially for impatient travelers like me.

For the more upscale boat rental - with towels, lunch, and somewhat first class service check out - http://www.cebudiving.com/


NEXT blog: Swimming with the "butandings" of Sorsogon, communing with the Majestic Mayon, and exploring the Caramoan Islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment