Saturday, March 24, 2012

2012 Travel Series No. 1: Part 2 - Bohol: Panglao, Balicasag, and Virgin islands

DAY 2 - Panglao, Balicasag, Virgin Islands, Cebu Adventure...dolphins, starfish, clown fishes, and more...

As promised, Mang Hermes's son Herbert came to pick me up from the resort at 530am.  I was expecting a small boat since there is only me...to my surprise it was a vessel good enough for 20 people...a good deal at 1500pesos.
It took Herbert and his uncle, Jojo 15 minutes to navigate through  seaweeds...
it was low tide, at its lowest
We reached the deep around 6am.  I hour of dolphin searching, my head was starting to ache, I was very dizzy and wanted to throw up.  Was about to tell Herbert to give up the search when he shouted, "Sir, dolphins sa kanan (Sir, dolphins to your right).  And there it was, a family of dolphins.  We followed them and other families of dolphins for nearly an hour.  It was worth the wait! (will upload video some other time...Internet connection is too slow).

At 8, we headed for Balicasag Island.  First thing I looked for after hitting the beach...FOOD! (And I still wonder how my weight shoot from 135lbs. to 175lbs...and stayed at the same level for the longest time...don't ask..I'm still in denial).

The beachfront had rows of restaurants (makeshift)...I was given the menu...and damn...it's like being in a 5star hotel restaurant - both breakfast choices and the price).  The waitress suggested "paluto, dampa style" (choose the seafood, they'll cook for you).  For a 820pesos, a cup of coffee, 4 cups of rice, 1/2 kilo of oyster clam soup, 1/2 kilo of fried flying fish, 1/4 kilo garlic shrimp, and 1 whole grilled unknown fish...2nd best decision I made on this trip.  I would have easily thrown away 750 for 3 Continental (toast, jam, egg, juice) or Filipino breakfast.  It was a feast!
A feast at 820pesos, cooking charge included..there's more clam in the pot :-)
TIP:  Make sure you invite your boatmen to the feast.  Not only because your lives depend on them but it's what good Christians should do. :-)  God's blessings are best enjoyed when it is shared.

After the sumptuous breakfast (cum lunch and merienda), I took a 3 minute trek to check the Balicasag Lighthouse (old and new).
The new light house is almost always closed not unless you chance upon the key keeper.
Finally, it was time to hit the waters, to the fish sanctuary.  Lumix underwater camera will finally be put to the ultimate test.  Nollie (who happens to be the cook) was my guide.  One has to pay 150pesos.  Water shoes are also needed, it is being rented out for 100pesos...and snorkeling set for rent at 150.  Here are some shots by Noli - the able boatman, guide, cook, and cameraman.
first plunge...Nollie said I'm not swimming in a pool...hence, no point  in using my Goggles...
no choice,  I ended up paying 150 for the mask :-)

It was all worth it...even if he asked for 500...these pictures are well worth it.

Feeding frenzy...banged my head twice...overly excited

bring water grip shoes...the corals are sharp

met Nemo...and Nemo...and more Nemo

One last plunge
Thirty minutes and I'm done...asked Nollie to take some underwater pictures for me.  Check out my Facebook site for more pictures: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1030256760 or search Richard Peig in FB.

By 10AM we were on our way to Virgin Islands, which was not so much of a virgin anymore :-)...it has the longest stretch of sandbar I have ever seen...longer than those in Cebu, Bora, and Davao...lots of starfish and sea urchins.

Of all places, I bumped into people in the office...not once but twice.  what the!!! Instant Oracle Upgrade 12.1.3 meeting :-)
People from the office...did'nt manage to take a pix with the other group
Fifteen minutes after, I had enough.  I called it a day.  Back to Panglao and off to Cebu.

NEXT POST...tips on travelling from Bohol to Cebu






No comments:

Post a Comment